An existing single story low-cost home is converted into a new double story modern style home for a young family.
The original L-shaped building turned its back on the large garden and ignored the lovely views of sea and mountain available to the property.
See the attached design magazine article (with photographs) based on an interview with the Architect and see the attached plans of the original home and new ground and upper floor.
The existing ground floor envelope is maintained to save costs, but the ground floor plan is totally re-worked and a new upper floor is added with the following ideas incorporated:
● The location of the existing double garage is moved to the opposite side of the house as the current location blocks off the house flow to the garden. The new double garage now has direct access to the house and kitchen.
● The original garage is opened up to the house and converted to a large new entertainment area with bar.
● A new modern kitchen and open plan dining area lead onto a new covered patio/braai area.
● The enclosed patio/braai area leads onto a new swimming pool patio through frameless glass doors.
● All bedrooms are moved to the new upper floor except for the main bedroom and en-suite bathroom which becomes the new guest bedroom downstairs.
● We add a grand new pedestrian entrance and entrance hall with steps up to the new upper floor.
● The street boundary is walled for security and privacy with remote controlled driveway gates leading to a driveway and to the double garage.
● The whole garden is landscaped to tie in with the new swimming pool patio with a large area of lawn for kids to play on.
● The new upper floor contains a large main bedroom with en-suite bathroom and dressing room attached.
● The main bedroom leads directly onto a large covered patio and balcony that wraps around the house.
● Two new bedrooms, two new bathrooms, a study and a tv lounge make up the rest of the new upper floor with all spaces having access to the patio/balcony
● Large rooflights at the covered patio let light into the main bedroom and passage.
● Warm eco-friendly bamboo flooring graces the whole upper floor except for the bathrooms where we use a carpet quartz floor. The ground floor is all carpet quartz finish giving a feeling of spaciousness and flow.
● Colors are white externally to show off the building shapes and shadows and muted internally to maintain a modern light feel.
● The Interior Designers have added wall paper detail and fabulous fittings, furniture and fixtures to compliment the house design.